Sunday, October 5, 2008

Homecoming Themed Rise Day


At my school we have what are called Rise Days. They are days where studnets are rewarded for having all of their work in. If a student has all of their work done, they can participate in an activity. However, those who are not completely caught up must work on the work they are missing.

Our half of the 7th grade decided to do our own Rise Day and I was put in charge of planning the activities. We needed 3 different activities for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd period and then repeat it for 5th, 6th and 7th period. I just have to say that I am glad Heavenly Father blessed me with the chance to work at the YMCA and at EFY because I have been able to steal numerous activities ideas.

I thought making it a theme around Homecoming would be fun. I stole ideas from EFY and from games we played at a social for Collegiate Singers. The students loved it! The pictures come from an activity where we split them into groups and gave each group a bag of stuff. Their job was to make a tux and gown for their homecoming king and queen. Then they got to walk on the "red carpet" and the other students voted on their winners.



My family did this at Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and it was hysterical. We were dressing up as turkeys though.

We played some games outside as well and good heavens, it made me laugh really hard. Seventh graders are hysterical! I really wish I could remember all the funny things they do because they keep me on my toes.

We are doing a Rise Day as an entire 7th grade in 3 weeks and we have planned a sweet activity. It is going to be a huge game show and we are going to have it in the auditorium. I took ideas from high school pep assemblies, state student counsel conferences and EFY. I cannot wait to see how it plays out. One of the things that I think the students are going to be most excited about is the opportunity to through a pie in a teachers face or dump pudding or other gross stuff, on a teacher. They get to choose which teacher they want to do use as their target. They are going to love it. I will try to remember to take pictures.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

What fun ideas! I bet the kids all just love you. They look so much younger than I expected! haha. Oh yeah did you hear about the trouble Eagle Rock is in for dumping gross things on students at one of their assemblies?