Let the games begin my friends! School has officially begun. I am on my prep period and I thought I would take a quick second to update my blog. Kristine let me borrow an amazing book by Fred Jones that I have loved. I used it to create my seating arrangement. Some of the procedures and discipline I use came from that book.
I have to share a quick experience from last Thursday. The 7th graders came on Thursday for a few hours. We went through their whole schedule but each class was only 10 minutes long. First period was a touch longer. We had an assembly with our first period class.
There was a student named Austin that came into class full of energy and a little grin on his face. I could tell from the beginning that he was going to test me. He wasn't bad, just a little chatty. I told them there would be no talking when we walked out of the classroom. If anyone talked, we would come back.
After we got downstairs and almost to the auditorium, Austin talked. So we turned around and went back to the room so we could try it again. It worked beautifully! Today we had a meeting with 2 other classes out in the "POD" area. My class was the best behaved and one of the other teachers commented on it. GO FIRST PERIOD!!!
On Thursday Austin came and talked to me in the hallway, so I knew he was not upset with me or thought I hated him. Then today after class he came and talked to me about some students he has had problems with in the past and he would really like to stay away from. These students are in my class so he wanted me to be aware of it. He then said, "I think this is going to be a great year. I am going to work hard and I think it will be good." I was soooo excited. He seems like a great kid. I am going to get to know him better and build a better relationship with him.
Another cool thing happened in the hallway. A girl that was in my class on Thursday was disruppting. After taking role it turns out that she was in the other Utah Studies class. Today she approached me in the hall and apologized for dissrupting. I was extremely impressed! This is going to be a great year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Wahoo for a great first day!! I laughed at the story of making it almost to the auditorium and then having to turn around. It totally reminded me of a picture from that book! I am glad that you like it so much! Sounds like you have some great students. I hope it continues to go well. You are going to be an awesome teacher!
All right, all right. I know you are busy with school, but come on! I'm dying to hear how things are going!!! Please if you could just spare a few minutes to blog. Or call. I miss you!
Post a Comment