Saturday, March 8, 2008

I Am Becoming My Mother


Today I realized that I am becoming my mother. You know when you are growing up and there are those things that your mom did that you thought were so odd. Well, yet again, I have done something I never really thought I would do. I have fallen in love with "Anne of Green Gables." I cannot tell you how many times growing up I remember coming downstairs, and there mom would be, ironing and watching "Anne of Green Gables." At various points in my life I went from hating it, to enduring it. I got to the point where I no longer thought it was stupid, but I surely did not like it either.


Well that all changed today. I turned on the t.v. and I saw that on KBYU they were showing it, so I decided to watch it. It sucked me in!!! I couldn't stop watching it. Finally I left so that I could go work out, but as soon as I got home again I turned it on. The best part came thought when we got to the part in the movie where Matthew dies. Anne is laying in her bed crying while Marilla is holding her and comforting her. I started to get teary eyed at which point my roommate Lana comes out, slowing perring in at me from the kitchen. She said, "Christie, are you okay? I heard crying, is it on the t.v.?" I told her that it was on the t.v. at which point I started crying and she asked me what I was watching. How embarrassing to say, "Oh you know, Anne of Green Gables." AHHHHH!!!


But really, it is a great show! I love it. I suppose mom always had great taste, it just took me a few years to realize that. I suppose it is one of those things that you appreciate more as you get older. There are so many things in that movie that crack me up and that I can identify with. Plus, it is a great love story. I mean honestly, who hasn't had a crush on Gilbert Blythe? Well, I should say, among women who watch "Anne of Green Gables," who hasn't had a crush on him? Oh well. Just add me to the masses of women who love it. My future husband will be exstatic when he finds that out.

As Grandma Larsen always said, "This growin' up ain't all it's cracked up to be." But, learning to appreciate classics is definitely a benefit.

7 comments:

Brad said...

I have loved that movie for years! I understand...entirely. Also, I figure If you turn out to be just like your mom....you could do no better!

Lisa said...

That was BAD...I didn't realize I was signed in as Brad...Big OOPS... IT WASN'T HIM..IT WAS ME... LISA!!! My husband will love that :(

Heather Inns said...

Thank you for your sweet comment that was so nice of you. I am glad you found my blog it is so fun to find new blogs. I love being able to share my life with all my friends. It is a great way to keep in touch. It is crazy how life changes and how we grow up so fast. But I think we all still have that big kid inside of us, we got to have the fun too.

Bekah and Lance said...

I'm so glad to hear that you finally discovered the joys of Anne of Green Gables! I've always loved that movie and true, I still fall in love with Gilbert every time I watch it and I always cry when Matthew dies and when she thinks Gilbert is dying...well I cry a lot in that movie actually. I'm surprised I don't own it yet and have resolved that there's no hope for Lance ever buying it for me since he hates them. :) Guys just don't understand!

Kristine said...

Oh, when I first read the title, I thought it said "I am becoming a mother." And I was thinking...Christie, is there something you haven't told me?! :) I love love love Anne of Green Gables, it is such a classic. There is something about Anne that I can really relate to! And I totally cry all through it, too! I love that you have a blog because if I need a little pick-me-up, I can just read what you are doing and it brightens my day!

Heather said...

I must say I have never seen the movie, but I can relate to being like your mother. Sometimes I find myself standing in front of the stove stirring something exactly like my mom does. It's creepy!

Heather Inns said...

It was so good to see you this last weekend next time your in town we need to get to together for lunch or something.