Thursday, March 6, 2008

EFY Here I Come!

Back in January I applied to be an EFY Counselor. I would never have thought of doing it except that over Christmas I was talking to one of my friends and he told me that I sounded just like and EFY Counselor. He asked if I had ever done it before. That is when I started thinking about it and got right on it.

The interview went well and I felt pretty confident about it. However, they said we would not find out for 2 months who was selected. That bummed me right out, but what could I do? In the mean time I moved to Salt Lake and met a girl, Lauren, in my new ward. She is fun and spunky and just a great girl. She told me about a girls camp where she works each summer. I decided to apply for it since I had not idea what else I would be doing.
I kept waiting to turn in my application for Brighton Girls Camp and I could not figure out why I was so hesitant. I knew it would be a great opportunity so why not? I finally got my app in and then it was just a matter of having an interview.

Again, in the meantime I found out that I had been selected to be an EFY Counselor!!! I couldn't believe it. I have heard of so many people who have applied and never been chosen that I just assumed I wouldn't be either. I was excited but at the same time I was nervous because I wasn't sure which camp I was supposed to do. It is always easier to choose between a good and a bad choice, so this was hard.

After a week or so I felt like I needed to do EFY, but I had set up an interview with Brighton already, so I felt obligated to go. The interview went fine, but I left kind of indifferent as to whether or not I would get the position. I didn't really want to make the decision, so I waited until I heard back from them.

Well, Heavenly Father answered my prayers when I received a letter in the mail saying that I had not been selected to be a counselor at Brighton. I knew as soon as I read the letter that I there was a reason I am going to be working as an EFY counselor this summer. Who knows what that reason is, but I know I will have a great summer and that I will learn a lot. This also allows me to go home for a couple weeks in the summer because I don't work each week. Yippie!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey Christie! I am excited for you. I loved being an EFY counselor. I learned so much and grew a lot. It's so fun to see how amazing the youth are and be a part of helping them gain a testimony. Good luck! You will be a fantastic counselor and they will love you.

♥ kimberly said...

Congratulations on being a counselor! That will be so fun for you! You'll be great. And my cousins used to go to Brighton for Girls Camp (I think).

Kristine said...

Yipee! Yeah for EFY counselors. You will do great. When you say you are coming home during the weeks you aren't working, does that mean IF? Because if it does, I would love to see you! Hope subbing is going well. And cheers for blogs. :)

Bekah and Lance said...

How exciting!! Will you be going to different schools or do you know yet? You'll be so great at that! And I'm sure you'll have lots of fun stories from it to tell us about on your blog! :)

MissMolly said...

Congradulations Christie! That really is hard to get to be a counselor but obviously they chose well because you will be so great to help the youth!