Monday, June 14, 2010

Just Kidding!


I am training for the Top of Utah Marathon in September that I am going to run with Megan. I am so glad Megan decided to run it because she is the reason I am actually running it. A couple of years ago we decided to run the same marathon. Well, Megan started training as did I, but after 2 weeks my knees were hurting so bad that I could not even run a 1/2 mile without stopping and walking for another 1/2 mile. I tried strengthening exercises but my knees were still killing me. I could not figure out why my knees were killing me. I have never had a knee injury and I was only 22. Needless to say I did not run the marathon. I went to watch Megan run and I was so jealous!


So when she told me that she was running it again I jumped at the opportunity. My knees have not hurt at all - thankfully. My calves have been really tight though. Thus far in my training I have not done as well I should be. I have missed some runs - especially the long runs on the weekend. But this last week I decided I had to really focus and get back into seriously training.


I ran 3 miles on Monday, 4 miles on Tuesday and 3 again on Wednesday. My long run was Friday and I was supposed to run 9 miles. AHHHH!!! I was really nervous because the furthest I have run so far is 4 miles. Are my knees going to hurt? What about my calves? Friday morning came and I went with Arturo to work and then the plan was to run home from there.


The beauty of getting dropped off somewhere is that you really don't have any other option but to run home because otherwise you aren't getting home. So how did it go you ask? It was amazing!!! I felt so good and I never got tired, my calves never hurt and me knees were great. Booyah! I had a big hill at the end of my run and it was easy. I was feeling really good about myself and my training. Then I went running this morning...


I only had to run 3 miles and you would have thought I was running 15 miles. My calves were KILLING me and I could barely run for longer than 3/4 of mile without stopping to walk and stretch my calves. I felt like I had lead in my shoes and it was awful. The prideful sure are humbled fast. I am going to stretch a lot today and hope that tomorrow's 5 miles go better.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

Wow, running home 9 miles sounds like a feat! Nice job. Hope your knees and calves get better and you can feel good!

Abrie said...

Wow Christie! Good for you! I can't believe you ran 9 miles and described it as easy. :) I have never run more than 3 miles, but someday I hope to maybe do a half marathon. As for a whole, I think we will leave that to superstars like yourself! Hey I wanted to tell you I think you are amazing for what you have been able to do in your Spanish only ward. What a challenge! What a blessing to be able to speak two languages! I hope you are doing well friend, and we need to catch up sometime!
Love you--Abrie

Sheila said...

Christie beast, I'm so proud of you! I'm so excited to see you at the marathon! By the sounds of your training, I may be looking at you from behind, but it will be so fun to see you anyway. Keep up the good work!

Stacy Brady said...

Way to go Christie. That is something that I have always wanted to do. Well a half marathon that is. I'm excited for you. Good luck with all that training!